Fjord is a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea bordered by steep cliffs, created by glacial erosion. It is formed when a glacier cuts a U-shaped valley by ice segregation and abrasion of the surrounding bedrock. But there are some freshwater Fjords in a larger lake,it is also often described as Fjords, but they are actually a freshwater lake cut off from the sea, so it is not the Fjord in the English sense of the term. So sometimes such lakes are known as “Fjords Lakes”. So let’s have a look on the top 6 beautiful Fjords Lakes of the world :
- Atlin Lake (Canada): The name itself comes from the Áa Tlein, the Tlingit word “atlah” , which actually means “Big Water”. It is a lake in northwestern British Columbia and it is the province’s largest natural freshwater fjord lake, covering 300 m² (780 km²). The northern tip of the lake is in Yukon, as in little Altin Lake. There numerous water activities can be done like boating, fishing, skiing, hiking close to town, and many more recreational sports such as snowshoeing, mountain biking, horseback riding, and glacier hiking at two provincial parks nearby.
- Okanagan Lake (Canada): It is a large, deep fjord lake, in the Okanagan valley of British Columbia. The lake is 135 km long, between 4 to 5 km wide and had a surface area of 351 km². The maximum and average depth of lake is 232 m (761 ft) and 76 m (249 ft) respectively. There are various features of lakes which includes Rattlesnake Island, Squally Point and Fintry Delta on the West side. Many parks and beaches are found along the the shore of the lake. People do boating and swimming over here. This lake is a home for several species of fishes which includes rainbow trout and Kokanee.
- Lake Chelan (U.S.): Chelan is a Salish Indian word , ‘Tsi- Laan’ , which means “Deep Water”. It is a narrow, 55-mile long freshwater fjord lake in Chelan Country, northern Washington state U.S. It is the largest natural lake in Washington. The maximum depth of Lake Chelan is 1,486 ft (453 m) , which makes the 3rd deepest lake in the country and 26th deepest in the world. The surface elevation of the lake is 1,098 ft (335 m) above sea level, and the average width of the lake is one mile. It is great place fo swim, boat or jet ski. There is tons of fishes over there to catch. You can take your water toys with you. many things are available over there like ice, wood, coffee, snacks, and a variety of ice-cream, water toys but all these things are very costly at beach and lake side. You can do Golfing at the Chela Valley.
- Seton Lake (Canada): It is a freshwater fjord draining east through the Seton River into the Fraser River at the town of Lillooet, British Columbia. This Lake is 1,500 feet deep and it is about 22 km long. Surface elevation of the lake is 243 m and the surface area is 26.2 km². Though the lake is natural, part of it is owned by BC Hydro’s Bridge River complex and is raised as a reservoir. There are campgrounds, picnic area, boating, canoeing, hiking, and fishing, are offered in this area. The colour of the lake water is very beautiful, as it is in turquoise colour.
- Western Brook Pond (Canada): It is a Canadian Fjord or lake located in Gross Morne National Park on the west coast of the Island of Newfoundland. It is in the Long Range Mountain, the most northern section of the Appalachian Mountain. It is carved by Glaciers, and a home to plenty of waterfalls and wildlife. The maximum length of the lake is 16 km (9.9 mi) and the maximum depth of the lake is 165 m (541 ft). The surface area of the lake is 23 km² (8.9 mi²), while the catchment area is composed of igneous rock with thin soil at 171 km² (66.0 mi²), so the waters feeding Western Brook Pound are low in nutrients and the lake is classified as ultraoligotrophic . It is surrounded by steep rock walls 600 m (2000 ft) high. After the glaciers melted, the land rebounded and the fjord was cut off from the sea. Salty water was flushed from the fjord leaving it fresh. You can take a boat tour over there.
- Lake Como (Italy): It is a Fjord Glacial Lake origin in Lombardy, Italy. It is one of the deepest lakes in Europe at over 400 metres (1,300 feet) deep and the bottom of the lake is more than 200 metres (650 ft ) below sea level. It is the third largest lake in the Italy with an area of 146 km² (56 mi²).The lake is shaped like an inverted ‘Y’ , with two legs. It is a very popular tourist attraction with many artistic and cultural gems. It is a long and narrow lake, and has an appearance of a mighty river winding among the mountains and the forest. It has many villas and palaces on the shores of Lake. Many famous people have their own homes on the shore of Lake Como. It is considered as one of the most beautiful lakes of the Europe. As a tourist destination, it is famous for its landscapes, wildlife and spas. It is a place for windsurfing, kitesurfing, and sailing.Credit: tuchodi, Mafue, activerain trulia, KSI Photography, wikipedia, wikipedia, flicker