Across the globe there are cities of various elevation due to extreme difference in Earth’s topography. However there are number of cities that are on the much higher elevation. In these town with the highest elevation around the world, Oxygen may be a sparse commodity but people have managed to not even survive but prosper so far from sea level. From the Himalayas to the Andes, the people of these cities live life at astonishing heights.
The following is the list of 7 very high world cities, each of which are over 3,400 metres. They are arranged by their elevation :
- Lhasa : Lhasa is a city in People’s Republic of China at an elevation of 3,490 metres (11,450 ft). It is the administrative capital of Tibet’s Autonomous Region in China. The word Lhasa means “Lands of the God”. It is the second most populous city on the Tibetan Plateau. The city contains many cultural significant Tibetan Buddhist sites such as the Potala Palace, Jokhang temple and Norbulingka Palace. Due to its very high elevation, it has a cool semi-arid climate with frosty winters and mild summers, still the valley location protects the city from strong heat or cold and strong winds.
- La Paz : It is also known as Nuestra Señora de La Paz, in English which means “Our Lady of Peace”. It is located on the western side of Bolivia at an elevation of approx 3,640 metres (11,942 ft). It is considered as the world’s highest administrative capital. It is the city that touches the sky. La Paz sits in a bowl surrounded by the high altiplano. Higher parts of La Paz have an unusual subtropical highland climate. The whole city have rainy summers and dry winters. And in winter light snow flurries can occur.
- Oruro : It is the capital of Oruro Department of Bolivia. It is located equidistantly in between La Paz and Sucre, at an elevation of 3,710 metres above sea level. It has a population around 235,393. It is subject to boom or burst cycles due to its dependence on mining industry, tin, copper and silver. Despite its economic decrease, it is still attracts tourist for its famous carnival, ‘The Carnaval de Oruro’. It is known for its cold weather and during the August, September and October temperature is generally warm.
- Puno : It is the capital and largest city of the Puno Region and Province in Southeastern Peru. Puno is located at the edge of Lake Titicaca , the world’s highest commercially navigable lake at 3,830 metres (12,556 ft) above sea level, on the Peruvian Altiplano. It has the population of approx 100,000. Puno is an important agricultural and livestock region of Peru, particularly of South America camelids (llamas and alpacas) which graze on its immense plateaus and plains. As Puno is located at high elevation, which means it is fairly cold, especially at night. It experiences more extreme weather conditions than would be expected for its tropical latitude.
- Shigatse : It is also named ‘Xigatse’, which means “the fertile land”. This frontier city is the second largest city in the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) of the People’s Republic of the China. The city is located at an elevation of 3,840 metres (12,600 ft) and have a population of approx 92,000 about 97% of which are Tibetan. It sits in the plain at the confluence of the Yarlong Tsangpo (or Brahmaputra) and Nyang River, where Tibet’s most fertile land is to be found. It has a monsoon-influenced, alpine version of a humid continental climate, with frosty, very dry winters and warm, wet summers.
- El Alto : It is a Spanish word, in English it means “The Heights”. It is the second largest city in the department of La Paz, Bolivia. It is one of the highest major cities in the world, standing at an elevation of 4,050 metres (13,615 ft) above sea level. It is the highest metropolis in the world with the population of approx 974,754. It has the cold climate, since all mean monthly temperatures are below 10 degrees.
- Potosí : It is the city and the capital of the department of Potosí in Bolivia. It is the world’s highest city with an elevation of around 4,090 metres (13,420 ft). It lies at the foot of the Cerro de Potosí , which means rich mountain, the popularity of mountain is believed because of being “made of” silver ore, which has always dominated the city.Credit : archer10 (Dennis), szeke, szeke, wikipedia, wikipedia, wikipedia, wikipedia